Policy and Rules
The normal workweek for full-time employees is 40 hours per week, Monday to Friday working hours of 8:00am and 4:00pm.
Probationary Employment Period
Employees who are newly hired, re-employed, promoted, demoted or laterally transferred will serve a probationary period. Results of the probationary period may be successful completion, extension of the period or termination of employment.
The probationary period allows an employee time to become proficient in the basic responsibilities of a new position and permits the manager to assess the individual’s performance. The employee and manager are encouraged to communicate frequently during the probationary period.
All necessary documentation as required by the Ministries of Labor and Education and the Bureau of Immigration including a 3 month Non-immigrant “B” Visa, must also be submitted to the Operations Department in order that the probationary period may be successfully completed
It is the policy of IDEAL English Academy that each employee’s dress, grooming and personal hygiene should be appropriate to the work situation.
The guidelines for dress code are as follows:
- Employees are expected at all times to present a professional, businesslike image to customers, prospects and the public. Acceptable personal appearance is an ongoing requirement of employment with IDEAL English Academy. Radical departures from conventional dress or personal grooming and hygiene standards are not permitted.
Office workers and any employees who have regular contact with the public must comply with the following personal appearance standards:
- Employees are expected to dress in a manner that is normally acceptable in similar business establishments. Employees should not wear suggestive attire, jeans, athletic clothing, shorts, sandals, T-shirts, novelty buttons, baseball hats and similar items of casual attire that do not present a businesslike appearance.
- Hair should be clean, combed and neatly trimmed or arranged. Shaggy, unkempt hair is not permissible regardless of length.
- Sideburns, moustaches and beards should be neatly trimmed.
- Tattoos and body piercings (other than earrings) should not be visible.
- Certain employees may be required to meet special dress, grooming and hygiene standards such as wearing uniforms, depending on the nature of their job.
- At its discretion, IDEAL English Academy may allow employees to dress in a more casual fashion than is normally required. On these occasions, employees are still expected to present a neat appearance and are not permitted to wear ripped clothing, athletic wear (unless required for these occasions) or similarly inappropriate clothing.
- Any employee who does not meet the standards of this policy will be required to take corrective action, which may include leaving the premises. Employees will not be compensated for any work time missed because of failure to comply with this policy. Violations of this policy will result in disciplinary action.
- Individual clients may have their own specific dress codes. When a conflict between the IDEAL dress code and a client’s dress code arises the client’s dress code will take precedence.
Code of Conduct
IDEAL English Academy prides itself on the high standards of excellence embodied by its operating principles. It expects its employees to personify these ideals in their dealing with persons both inside and outside IDEAL English Academy. The following code of conduct is intended to provide guidelines for the professional, ethical, legal and socially responsible behavior expected of employees.
It is impossible for this code to cover every situation that may arise. When you have a question, ask your supervisor or the Director of Operations. In circumstances where you are unable to consult with an appropriate person in IDEAL English Academy, use your common sense and good judgment.
Consistent with our operating principles, employees should strive to conduct all business dealings and relationships with integrity, honesty and respect for others. Employees should loyally and faithfully serve our principles and always deal fairly and honestly with customers and others with whom we do business. No employee should knowingly permit any transaction to occur through his or her offices that is not fair to our principles and customers alike.
Accurate and Complete Accounting
- Employees should use IDEAL English Academy funds and other property solely for the benefit of IDEAL English Academy. All disbursements must be lawful and consistent with instructions provided by IDEAL English Academy. Transactions concerning the account, including the purchase and distribution of premiums, should be clearly authorized and properly and promptly recorded.
- No unrecorded fund, reserve, asset or special account shall be set up or maintained for any purpose. No false or fictitious entries shall be made in books, records, accounts or in company communications for any reason. No payment or transfer of funds or assets (such as tangible and intangible premiums) shall be made for any purpose other than that described by the supporting documents and specifically as authorized by the principal or clearly within the discretion granted to IDEAL English Academy by the principal.
- Employees are responsible for accurate and timely recordkeeping for all company assets, liabilities, revenues and expenses. Compliance with accepted accounting rules and controls is required. All books, records and documents must accurately and completely describe the transactions they represent.
Bribes and Kickbacks
- The company does not permit or condone bribes, kickbacks or any other illegal, secret or improper payments, transfers or receipts. This prohibition applies both to the giving and the receiving of payments or gifts.
- All payments and transfers of premium and other items of value to employees of other business entities or to such entities themselves shall be made openly and must be disclosed and authorized in advance by the principal, the customer and IDEAL English Academy.
No employee shall offer, give or transfer any money or anything else of value for the personal benefit of any employee or agent of another business entity for the purpose of:
- Obtaining or retaining any business that the business entity itself would not otherwise provide
- Receiving any kind of favored treatment that the business entity itself would not otherwise provide
- Inducing or assisting such employee or agent to violate any duty to his employer or to violate any law
- No employee shall assist in the misuse of clients' or company funds, including, without limitation, the misappropriation of such funds for the personal benefit of employees of IDEAL English Academy or customers.
- No outside agent of any kind shall be used to circumvent the prohibition against bribes, kickbacks and other illegal, secret or improper payments. Fees, commissions and expenses paid to outside agents must be based upon proper billings, accurate recordkeeping and reasonable standards for services rendered.
Gifts and Entertainment
- Except in connection with and specifically pursuant to programs officially authorized by our principals, employees may not accept, directly or indirectly, any money, objects of value or premiums from any person or company that has or is doing or seeking business with IDEAL English Academy. All employees must disclose authorized transactions of this nature to the Director of Operations. Providing excessive gifts or entertainment to others who may represent potential business is prohibited.
- Employees may accept only business-related meals, entertainment, gifts or favours when authorized by management and when the value involved is not significant and clearly will not create an obligation to the donor.
- Any payments or transactions must be accurately recorded in IDEAL English Academy's books and records and must be consistent with applicable law and accepted practice in the community.
Smoking is prohibited in IDEAL English Academy occupancies as in accordance with applicable ordinances and building codes.
The guidelines for smoking are as follows:
Smoking is prohibited in the following IDEAL English Academy occupancies:
- Hazardous use rooms and buildings, such as mechanical rooms;
- All other public occupancy areas, school grounds and lobbies.
- Smoking may be permitted in IDEAL English Academy occupancies other than those listed above, however, only if other building occupants do not object.
- If there is a conflict between smokers and non-smokers about when and where a staff member or visitor may smoke, the smoker shall respect the expressed wishes of the non-smoker.
- Enforcement of non-smoking areas in all buildings shall be in accordance with the city building code and ordinance.
- Complaints under IDEAL English Academy’s policy on smoking are to be submitted to the Director of Operations. The Director of Operations (or an assigned officer) will investigate and evaluate the complaint and route the complaint along with the findings to the department head of the unit which the complaint is lodged. It is the responsibility of the Director of Operations to ensure that this policy is observed.